Monday, September 13, 2021

The Good Old Quest Shuffle

So, the second quest is basically finished (just need to write some more dialogue and figure out the best way to start the intro). In a bold move, this is not the quest I had started designing before. That one might re-appear in the future, but I couldn't figure out some details with the gameplay, and decided to leave it there for the moment.

The quest would have involved working on the design of a magical defense system for boats and ships, and while I had some cool, simple ideas where you had to juggle cost/performance/magic type and stuff like that, it felt slightly unintuitive, and I couldn't figure out a nice gimmick or mini-game to go with it (having just the choices felt a bit too straightforward). I was also thinking of involving people you have helped in the past (for example, talking to Janet could unlock an extra choice if you decided to use Gears in the system), but that kind of thing usually works better if it's placed later in the game (I wanted the new quest to be available from chapter 2).

So what we got is a puzzle-fest, instead, as some people from the mage guild are working on a test for newcomers, and want you to give them feedback. It feels less "magicky" than the previous idea, but I think the puzzles I created are nice to toy around with. I even have a new mini-game which I might use later down the line, as well as some ideas for more such things, as a result of my experiments.

This delayed me slightly, so I don't have any finished scenes for the Harem path yet. Those are next on the table, then I'll use the remaining time to work on the final chapter a little bit. The release should still hit around the 20th, since I managed to wrap up both quests (which were the main focus anyway), and one week should be plenty to add more interesting stuff anyway.

This about sums it up. See you guys next week for the new update! ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment