Sunday, January 10, 2016

About beginning and endings

I have been working on the quest endings last week. Specifically, I wrote the bad end in case you mess up the final quest, I am halfway through the game's ending, and I have been adding some more things to the import/export system for the sequel.


The game isn't finished (heck, not even the final quest is complete), but I felt like working on the ending... Damn, there is a lot of stuff to mention! I also have to decide what I am going to export to the sequel that WILL NOT be mentioned during the ending. I can't mention every little thing (it would probably bloat the ending and make it boring) and I also want to keep a few surprises on what's going to come back for chapter 2, so that's something I have to consider too, on top of writing the ending itself. Also, the ending will be split in two halves: the first part, will recap a little what's changed in the universe thanks to you (mostly small changes, with the exception of Verania, but you know about the butterfly effect, right? :p), and the second half about you and your crew more closely. In between those two halves, there will be a narrative fork, though: if you fucked up royally on your way here, you will get a bitter-sweet ending of sorts, something that won't allow you to export your game to chapter 2 (it's going to be almost impossible to fuck it up this badly unless you try, but I feel like you should be punished if  you really give no shits about Celeste and her crew). It won't end with Celeste as a slave, but her adventuring days will be over.

I should be finished soon, as the work I had already done for the export/importing on data between chapter 1 an 2 gave me a frame of reference for a lot of the events, but this will probably be updated as the testers remind me of stuff I missed (I really hope I'll be able to wrap everything up that's important).

This would still leave me with finishing the slave paths in the final quest, as well as personal testing, and polishing, before a closed beta for it (although I might add some extras before the closed beta, to wrap up even more stuff and avoid the usual problems with RAGS incompatibility with old files).

So, it was a productive week, although I wish I would have already finished working on the ending, but the number of decisions slowed me down a bit. Anyway, that's all for now, stay tuned, and I'll see you guys next week! ^_^

11 comments:

  1. Awesome. Can't wait for the release.

    Also, something that has been bugging me for a long time, what language is the blog in/why?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah-ah, it's Italian (like me!), it picked the language automatically, and I never bothered to change it... Maybe I should!

      Delete
    2. You'd change from the language of love to the language of Bart Simpson? WHY?!?

      Delete
    3. EAT MY SHORTS!!!

      Uhm, I mean... Most of my audience speaks english, so it kind of makes sense? XD

      Delete
    4. I love the italian language, hell I have an Alfa Romeo(Alfa Amore :P), but sadly I don't understand it, so yeah it would make sense to give an english website for an english game... :D

      Delete
    5. I am amazed that nobody has answer that with: "But it's such an UGLY language."

      Delete
  2. Will there be a lot of random mini quests and encounters for the other planets? I always feel like the new planets lack a bit of life. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The new planet definitely needs some stuff, I already have an idea for one short quest, but I'll have to see what I can come up with to implement more content.

      I don't think I can add many more random events, it's starting to get a little "crowded", and I risk starting to repeat myself.

      Delete
    2. Hehehe, you could release it as some kind of DLC content after the game is done. XDD

      Delete
    3. Ah-ah! Sadly, RAGS sucks when it comes to handling new content, it would probably make save files incompatible. I can probably release some updates past 1.0, but it should be specifically something that ISN'T going to change anything in chapter 2, as that could mess with importing/exporting variables between the two chapters.

      Delete