Tuesday, December 03, 2013

New closed beta deployed!

So, after putting aside the whole "dating Piper" thing, I started laying down the basic framework for the new part of the main quest. More importantly, I wrapped things up for a closed beta, which means a lot of testing done by myself, before I could hand things over to my testers and donors (those who requested access to the closed beta, anyway). It has been fun, although I discovered some very weird bugs (hopefully, there aren't too many left for my testers to find ^_^).

So it has been busy, and I just sent the link to the file, so I am waiting to hear back from them. I will probably keep working on the main quest this week, barring any prolonged bug-fixing sessions.

I also got another 5€ donations from M.W. (thanks a lot! :D), which means more money in my wasteful hands! *insert evil laughter here*


With all things said and done, let's move to our usual anime intro/review combo of the week! Today we welcome Death Note within our ranks!

No weird/interesting stories about alternative versions this time around, this is the only one I know about

 So, what happens when you give a smart, uncompromising teenager power over life and death? The plot of Death Note, answers this question (sort of), when Light Yagami, the protagonist, gets his hands on the eponymous Death Note, and starts to build an ideal world with no criminals... By killing them one after the other thanks to the powers of the dark artefact. The author had some interesting ideas, and while I believe the final part of the story could have been handled better, it's still a nice reading (I read the manga, so I can't speak with certainty about the anime, but I heard it's good as well). At its core, it's basically a detective story, where we follow the bad guy, instead of the good guy. A simple, but effective, subversion of the genre (not too innovative, but not overused as well), and the plot makes for some tense moments, as it reaches certain key points. I recommend it without problems, as long as you are okay with evil protagonists.

And this is it for the week! Until next time! :)

18 comments:

  1. It has goth chicks in it too! ;-) \o/

    Btw, someone mentioned recently about submissiveness and whatnot (though, I'm personally more interested in ways to increase resistance at the moment but that's neither here nor there) and you know what? ...

    (Minor spoiler coming): I have this really cool friend that very much enjoyed the game by being a badass but despite that and interestingly enough *SHE* ~really really~ enjoyed being under the mob boss's thumb during the get-together dinner on the affluent planet... I forget the name, sorry. She wanted more dealings with the boss; actually, you know what, now that I think about it, I want to see more on that front too! ;D Of course, that's your decision, but damn, it was a good scene! ;P Also... I love this chick! (Psst, don't tell her I said "chick" though.) ;)

    *High fives all around!* The show was pretty decent too. Check it out if you have time; though, there probably isn't anything vastly different than the manga, it's still a good ride and animated quite well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has goth chicks, I can't deny that. :)

      Someone brought this up before, and I wrote down a note to remember it. It's likely I'll do it, even if I am not sure if I'll do this for this release or the next one.

      It's too late now, I am totally going to tell to this girl (I don't know who she is) that you called her a "chick" (Mr. Anonymous #3540).

      I only ever watched the infamous "potato chip scene" from the show (in the manga, it's not even remotely as dramatic as that one, no idea why they decided to go all out on that one! XD).

      Delete
    2. I had to look that up. ^^' And hey! Don't try to get the brass tacks on me! After all, I'm a fan of your work. ;)

      Btw, and in all seriousness, someone actually brought the Death Note manga (collected vol 1) on our week-long shift. I kid you not. He said he's borrowing it from a friend, but I thought it was an extraordinary coincidence. I'm going to try and sneak in a few coloring sessions during my breaks... and MAKE IT BETTER! Right? Riiiight? It'll be one step closer to the actual animation, but on paper! I'm sure they'll appreciate all the hard work I'm going to do... XD XD XD

      Delete
    3. XD XD XD

      I am sure he and his friend will appreciate the new coloring, remember to sign each page at the bottom, it raises the value of the manga. ^_^

      Delete
  2. Ah Death note I STILL need to finish watching the anime. I got as far as someone dieing...wow that is really vague but I don't want to spoil it :P Can't wait for the next update :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that's very vague, considering how many people die! XD

      But no spoiler is always a good policy. :)

      Delete
  3. Guessing you are using chaosrevolver and some of the other regular testers in the Collective? I can hardly stand the wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My list of testers and helpers is available at the beginning of the game. It's more or less accurate, although some people have stopped helping, for various reasons.

      There are also a few donors who opted in for the closed betas, although not too many people actually asked for that one. ^_^

      Delete
  4. Hope to see new update as a Christmas gift ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christmas? yes maybe 2014... ;)

      Delete
    2. Hey, now, let's not create false expectations! Nothing before 2020! XD XD XD

      On a slightly more serious note, late december/early january seems possible, although I still have to work on a lot of stuff.

      Delete
    3. Yeah. Each individual planet has their own unique holidays, y'know, which, btw, translates in game terms, cool scenes. ;) Or... was that a secret? Anyway, what other nifty new things was added to the database recently? Perhaps the tags for each entry of this blog (i.e., "eating potato chips like a boss")? The unique tag from the entry below gives +500 credits every time you input it... but... that doesn't seem to work for me. Maybe a spelling error, mdqp? Worked like a dog today, haven't yet attempted to snatch and color Death Note. Soon, though, soon...

      Delete
    4. All planets have their holidays, but since you don't know the secret handshake, you aren't invited at any of them. It's kind of sad for Celeste, really.

      I should have actually added a few tags I use on the blog as secret easter eggs in the extranet, that would have probably been interesting. XD

      Make sure you let them know it was you who colored Death Note, they will want to know who they need to "thank" for that... XD XD XD

      Delete
  5. December 31, 23:59:59 will be really nice date of release ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would drive people crazy, maybe I should do it?

      XD XD XD

      Delete
    2. Feel like a Santa ;D

      Delete
  6. Keep up the good work... :) Btw, Death Note is just amazing stuff. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Magma, nice to see you here! Yeah, Death Note is great (although I don't like the ending too much, as I said).

      Delete