Monday, May 30, 2016

Turning your house (well, moon base) into a home

So, I did some testing and bugfixing (I finally got around to play the main quest from start to finish), and at least the game is beatable. I will probably need to try a few more things (I had almost forgotten all the little branches in the final mission), but I was happy, there weren't insane issues, just some minor things, a couple of incorrect conditions and a thing or two that I hadn't restored yet when RAGS ate my homework some time ago.

The main focus this week was adding events to the house. I am not sure if this was suggested to me before, or if I just had a nice idea, but I thought I should add a special action to your room for when you reach the "end" of a romance, so you can spend some time with your partner. I would like the scenes to be short and sweet, repeatable, and picked at random, so sometimes you get a sex scene, sometimes you get some small talk, maybe some romantic moments, you know, all those icky things you humans like to do with your companions. Weirdly enough, it's a bit of a pain for all non-sex scenes, because unless I use generic, stock pictures, I'll have to just use the usual pics for Celeste and her lover, and then describe what's going on. It might be a bit cruel to make this option available only if you buy the house (and upgrade your room) but I feel it's justified by having more privacy/intimacy in a proper building, compared to the ship, and in the end it's an excuse to make the house fun, so you'll have deal with this maybe being slightly awkward.

Anyway, I went through the picture hunting for most of it, and I did setup the mechanics, but I did write only a couple of scenes so far. I am considering some "behind the scene" stuff that isn't super interesting, but in the end I'll probably go for the simplest method on this one, I don't think the scenes will be big enough to impact the performance, so it's fine to be lazy.

I have also some ideas for a "party" of some sorts when you fully upgrade the house, but I am trying to decide how interactive I want the event to be, and how long. I think the romance scenes and the party will be enough content for the 1.0 version, there will always be time to add something else in the 1.1 update, whenever that will be.

That's pretty much about it for now, folks! I added some minor stuff to the final mission, and I spent an insane amount of time trying to figure out what kind of music I want to use for it (I wanted to use 2 tracks, but RAGS doesn't handle transitions between two songs very gracefully), but it's not worth writing in detail, so, until next week! ^_^

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like your getting close to the 1.0 release.
    Its gonna be nice to see such an awesome game reach a complete state.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want to finish it, it's been way too long, I feel kind of bad for those who supported me, and then had to wait all this time. I am not sure if it will be worth the wait, but at least it should be entertaining. :)

      Delete
  2. "All those icky things you humans like to do with your companions..."
    What? Like make smaller, more annoying copies of ourselves? Lol. ;P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You meatbags have a tendency of doing that, yes. The machines will eventually rectify this behaviour of yours. XD

      Delete